Monday, March 16, 2009

Absence makes the heart grow fonder




Well, the boys are spending part of their Spring Break in Oklahoma, so it's been pretty quiet around here. Which is way terrific...especially for the first few hours. I love spending time with the hubby. But then he goes to work. Sure, I have big plans for how I'm going to spend my days alone. I'm going to do things for myself. Like shop for shoes. Or get a pedicure. But then I talk myself out of those things and all I'm left with is...too quiet. Which gets me to thinkin' about those blonde-haired boys who are making all their noise and fuss somewhere else for a few days. And I start to miss the noise and fuss. And I start to miss the boys. And I start to think about the things I miss about each of them.

And that gets me to thinkin', too...about what good kids they are -- warts and all. 

I'll start with Alex -- naturally, since he's the oldest. And probably the most like me. I miss his joking around and his contagious laugh. And his sensitivity. And the way he looks out for his brothers, even when he's ready to string them up by their ears.

And as for Ryan...I miss his sarcasm (which he gets from me and is still learning to use for good, not evil).  I miss seeing the sparkle in his green eyes when he's telling me about his latest "girlfriend." I know I'll regret this, but I even miss his constant requests to be allowed to play his drums or to download guitar tabs for "Back in Black."

Then there's Eli. Oh, Eli. I miss his laughter. And the way he loves to take care of the dog. And I miss seeing what he creates by taking apart toys and rebuilding them to be something else.

I'm sure next week, I'll be back to dreading the rock-n-roll jam sessions, the begging to take the dog around the block, and the pestering that makes little brothers mad. But for today, absence make the heart grow fonder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment